Join the MightyFly Team
Embedded Software Engineer
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an embedded software engineer at MightyFly, you will be designing and integrating embedded systems onboard one of the world’s largest and fastest autonomous cargo aircraft. Specifically, you will be responsible for the integration of sensors, actuators, communication links, autopilot components and other hardware. Your tasks will range from writing autopilot code in C/C++ to writing sub-system firmware to control motors, engines, battery management systems and more. You will work closely with the other team members to ensure the seamless integration and testing of the firmware and other embedded software you develop.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Architect and develop production quality autopilot firmware in C/C++
- Write application-level software
- Write firmware algorithms for control systems
- Write sensor drivers and data processing algorithms
- Design, implement, verify and deploy software onboard MightyFly’s autonomous aircraft
- Work with the software team to create tools and tests to demonstrate and verify the performance of your embedded software
- Experimental verification of your work by supporting and participating in flight tests.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to evaluate, select, and integrate hardware components (i.e. sensors, actuators, comms links, etc) to meet performance requirements.
- Analyze flight data to investigate potential problems and regressions and find room for improvements.
- Document designs and tests for the purpose of FAA certification
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- A passion for building systems from the ground up
- A can-do attitude for tackling and solving complex problems
- Ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- A self-motivated attitude, with the ability to manage your own responsibilities in an unstructured work environment
- 5+ years of experience with production quality C/C++
- 5+ years of experience developing embedded firmware
- 3+ years of experience developing with an RTOS
- Ability to write quality code and automated tests
- Experience with UAV autopilot development
- Ability to read electrical schematics and datasheets
- Experience with communication protocols including CAN, I2C, etc
Planning & Partnering
- Ability to plan and deliver on time
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and visual)
- Organizational skills
Nice to have
- Experience developing and deploying safety critical embedded software
- Familiarity with aviation certification standards & processes
- Experience with large UAVs or VTOL aircraft
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
MightyFly is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MightyFly values diversity and welcomes applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry. We are an international team led by a female CEO.
- Bay Area.
- Remote work might be possible, on a case-by-case basis.
- We are aviation and aerospace enthusiasts who believe the sky is not the limit.
- Teamwork: We believe that to achieve great results we need great teamwork.
- Working hard: Building reliable aviation and logistics products is really hard but also exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
- Having fun: We believe that hard work needs to be coupled with fun. We love hanging out beyond the workday, hosting team dinners, and organizing fun activities. We love the outdoors and outdoor sports. And of course, we love flying.
- Celebrating wins large and small.
- Creativity: We love and encourage creativity. The best ideas emerge when our working environment fosters out-of-the-box thinking.
- Humility: Let’s leave the ego at the door so we can work together to create meaningful solutions.
- Equity, inclusivity, and respect for the diversity of life and work experiences that each individual brings to the team.
- Transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Stock option plan.
- Working on cutting-edge products to transform our future.
- Working with a diverse and highly skilled team.
- Shaping and defining company culture and values.