Join the MightyFly Team
Head of Software
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Software team builds the essential software to enable safe autonomous flight. As the software lead, you will be responsible for planning and leading the design, architecture, implementation and testing of all safety-critical flight software on the MightyFly autonomous cargo transport aircraft. Your responsibilities extend from building the system from the ground up, into building the team and leading the team. The work will span a broad swath of the software stack, from ensuring the reliable performance of low-level peripheral drivers to the timely execution of high-level vehicle control loops.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Manage and grow our software team.
- The creation and execution of the flight software development roadmap, aligning software milestones in development, infrastructure, automated test, etc., with company-wide aircraft program goals.
- Develop and improve autopilot software to improve robustness.
- Development, implementation, and execution of automated test fixtures and infrastructure to verify the functionality and robustness of released software.
- Software support and participation in flight tests to validate our system’s functionality. Flight software requirements specification, management and tracking, with an eye towards software certification when necessary.
- Contributing to high-level planning and architecture discussions in collaboration with other team members.
- Setting up and utilizing project management tools (e.g., Jira), software tracking (Git). Code Reviews (you know what great code looks like).
- Documenting designs and tests for the purpose of FAA certification.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- A passion for building systems from the ground up
- A can-do attitude for tackling and solving complex problems
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Experience in leading a team
- Experience in recruiting and making hiring decisions
- A high bar for software quality, and knowledge
- Hands-on experience in object oriented design, C/C++ implementation and test
- Experience with the autonomy stack
- Knowledgeable with both team-wide and individual best practices
Planning & Partnering
- Ability to plan and deliver on time
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Ability to translate product requirements into technical implementation plans
- Good judgment on when to say Yes and No! Ship when we need to ship and punt when we can afford to punt
- A mixture of customer obsession and product vision
- Organizational skills
Nice to have
- Experience implementing flight controls, autonomy, sensor fusion, and navigation algorithms
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Familiarity with aviation certification standards & processes
- Experience with large UAVs or VTOL aircraft
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
MightyFly is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MightyFly values diversity and welcomes applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry. We are an international team led by a female CEO.
- Bay Area.
- Remote work might be possible, on a case-by-case basis.
- We are aviation and aerospace enthusiasts who believe the sky is not the limit.
- Teamwork: We believe that to achieve great results we need great teamwork.
- Working hard: Building reliable aviation and logistics products is really hard but also exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
- Having fun: We believe that hard work needs to be coupled with fun. We love hanging out beyond the workday, hosting team dinners, and organizing fun activities. We love the outdoors and outdoor sports. And of course, we love flying.
- Celebrating wins large and small.
- Creativity: We love and encourage creativity. The best ideas emerge when our working environment fosters out-of-the-box thinking.
- Humility: Let’s leave the ego at the door so we can work together to create meaningful solutions.
- Equity, inclusivity, and respect for the diversity of life and work experiences that each individual brings to the team.
- Transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Stock option plan.
- Working on cutting-edge products to transform our future.
- Working with a diverse and highly skilled team.
- Shaping and defining company culture and values.