Join the MightyFly Team
Senior Mechanical Engineer
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a mechanical engineer, you will be responsible for planning and leading the design, architecture, implementation and testing of mechanical systems onboard MightyFly’s hybrid-electric eVTOL aircraft.
This role requires a strong fundamental understanding of structures, load paths, requirements traceability and weight-sensitive design. Our ideal candidate must be self-motivated, passionate about hybrid eVTOL aircraft development, and resilient to quickly adapt to direction changes.
The candidate must have a strong interest in working in a small, fast paced team where a variety of skills will need to be applied day to day, and in which new skills will constantly need to be learned.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Collaborate with our multi-disciplinary engineering team
- Rapidly prototype new designs
- Work with consultants, vendors, and contractors to realize designs
- Develop test procedures and test new designs
- Hands on production support to validate new designs and bring up production
- Design test fixtures to validate designs against requirements
- Support requirements development and documentation
- Document designs and test for the purpose of FAA certification
- Communicate effectively and clearly
- Must be self-motivated and a great team worker
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- A passion for building systems from the ground up
- A can-do attitude for tackling and solving complex problems
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- 3-7 years mechanical engineering experience
- Education level: Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering and/or Aerospace CAD pro (NX, Solidworks, etc.)
- Experienced designing mechanical assemblies in Automotive or Aerospace, such as airframe structures, gearboxes, drivetrain, transmission, landing gear, doors, etc…
- Hands-on experience in multiple technical fields especially those related to composites and metallic structures
- Experience designing metallic parts
- Experience designing test fixtures
- Experience with GD&T
- Experience with FEA
- Experience designing safety critical hardware
Planning & Partnering
- Ability to plan and deliver on time
- Ability to translate product requirements into technical implementation plans
- Organizational skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience designing composite parts
- Experience with high power electric motors and drivetrains
- Experience with internal combustion engines. Eg. 2-stroke or 4-stroke
- Familiarity with aviation certification standards & processes
- Experience with large UAVs or VTOL aircraft
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
MightyFly is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MightyFly values diversity and welcomes applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry. We are an international team led by a female CEO.
- Bay Area.
- Remote work might be possible, on a case-by-case basis.
- We are aviation and aerospace enthusiasts who believe the sky is not the limit.
- Teamwork: We believe that to achieve great results we need great teamwork.
- Working hard: Building reliable aviation and logistics products is really hard but also exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
- Having fun: We believe that hard work needs to be coupled with fun. We love hanging out beyond the workday, hosting team dinners, and organizing fun activities. We love the outdoors and outdoor sports. And of course, we love flying.
- Celebrating wins large and small.
- Creativity: We love and encourage creativity. The best ideas emerge when our working environment fosters out-of-the-box thinking.
- Humility: Let’s leave the ego at the door so we can work together to create meaningful solutions.
- Equity, inclusivity, and respect for the diversity of life and work experiences that each individual brings to the team.
- Transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Stock option plan.
- Working on cutting-edge products to transform our future.
- Working with a diverse and highly skilled team.
- Shaping and defining company culture and values.